Association members may submit the name of a proposed member to the Secretary-Treasurer of the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. Membership proposals should include initial letter of proposal, two seconding letters from Association members and a current curriculum vitae. Complete proposals shall be forwarded to the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeon Membership Committee. The Membership Committee consists of five Active Members or Fellows, geographically diverse and otherwise representative of the Corporationís members, serving for staggered five-year terms, one elected each year by the membership. The President and Secretary will serve ex officio.
Nominations to membership must be received by the Secretary at least 150 days prior to the next Annual Meeting. The Committee shall investigate the credentials of prospective new members recommended by existing members to the Secretary, or suggested by Committee members. Candidates shall be proposed by the Committee to the membership for election, upon 90 daysí written notice prior to the Corporationís Annual Meeting. All candidates for membership, either Active Membership or International Membership, must have attended a prior meeting as a guest.
Election of new members shall take place at the Annual Meeting and require an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members voting.
There are five categories of membership:
- Active Members shall be limited to seventy-five in number, residents of the United States or Canada, and shall be surgeons who have distinguished themselves in Urology.
- Fellows shall be Active Members who have reached the age of 65, and they shall enjoy all of the privileges of Active Members.
- International Members shall be distinguished foreign urologists elected by the Active Members and Fellows, and shall enjoy that status for life.
- Honorary Members shall be elected to that status upon nomination by the Council, based on outstanding contributions to Urology.
- Inactive Members are retired Active or International Members transferred at their request.